Pages

Thursday, August 28, 2014

"So you live where now?"

It seems like I can never set up roots these days, I move a lot and constantly.  But I at least have found the region I think I might set up roots.  I now live in Oregon on the amazing coast.  I have never slept so good as going to bed with the sound of surf in the distance.
Fly fishing here is very different though, or so I thought.  Most guys throw traditional steel head, salmon and trout flies at those species.  While some nuts, soon to included me, chase the Lingcod and Rockfish on the rocky surf beaten coast.  The bays and estuaries seemed to be homes to sculpin and crabs.  but I tried to paddle out and throw some small ep minnow flies.  I started catching trout... in the salt water bays.
Sea run Cutthroat trout, or Coastal Cutthroat dominate this region.  They are in the river year round, but a heavy crop comes out to feed in the massive ocean.  Others stay in the bays and estuaries.  But starting in August they can all be found in the bays and rivers.  What do these small trout eat?  Are they good for nymphing?  Well yeah they will eat that but....

I would call them predators, in fact I have never seen a more aggressive trout.  In the bays they feed on sand lance and fight more like a baby tarpon then a trout.  They even will leap out of the water when crushing a top water fly.  I catch them on flies between one and six inches long.






No comments:

Post a Comment