Pages

Saturday, November 5, 2011

Warm blooded prey!

             Standing knee deep for most the day I took to the far bank for a bit of drying time while I scouted a new spot.  It was a feeder creek, tiny, maybe four feet across at this spot, but nearly a foot deep.  I had good results fishing spots down river.  A few Hybrid stripers, white bass, and a nice smallie had been landed.  The low water was moved past large beaches exposed by the low water.  It was by no means super low, but this semi-large river was now very wadeable with a steady current.

After I had fished some nice spots lower in the river I went north and tried this small feeder creek.  As I approached, about 30 hybrid stripers came flying out of the creek and into the pool.  Most about two pounds.  I saw one fish maybe over fifteen inches.  As I approached the lower bank where the creek meet the river, something happened I will never forget.

We have all herd of mouse being eaten by fish, but seeing it something else.  Most of us miss this.  And I have never heard of Hybrids eating mouse before.  But as I approached the bank a small mouse found himself trapped, I had not seen him there.  He turned and took to the river.  After about five feet of slow swimming, a Hybrid rolled on it and the mouse was gone.

Now if you ever fish small mouth water, you should have mouse flies, even in winter.  I had three.

The fishing was unreal.  I maybe got fifty fish on mouse patters alone, and after my mouth flies wore out I tried every top water fly I had on me.   It was epic!  Fish where blitzing the flies.  I lost a monster on a crease fly and a few others on my remaining mice.  All my top water flies where tore to pieces.

After that I started changing flies like made till I found a streamer that was perfect.


Meet the Iychymimus!  (means fish  mimic)  It is one crazy fly and is one of the patterns I dish out on orders.  Its about three inches long and is great for predators.  I got about fifty fish on this one really long lasting fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment